With the feast finished and the ghost-guests gone, the Nice Company spent a few minutes re-grouping and sobering up. Thankfully, both Xandros and Verdand overcame their poison affliction, and are now safe, at least from Poison, as Xandros is looking paler by the moment.
The Nice Company then decided it was time to explore some more of this strange place called Castle Amberville. And so, out of the doors they went, into a large outdoorsy place under a massive glass dome. A path ran down in between trees. There was no wind, no noises either. At least none one expects to hear in a regular forrest.
As the company made it’s way towards the unknown, the trees got thicker, and weirder. So weird, that some of them decided they weren’t really trees, but instead tentacled things with a tree trunk as body with a gnawing mouth on it. Kayoshin and Brandr got grabbed and chewed up, a bit, but with the tentacles cut, the trees that were not couldn’t really do much harm. Brandr did feed a flask of oil to one of them, just for good measure anyway.
Further in on the path the trees thinned out, bushes lined the edges of the path, and some rustling came from them. Shadows could be seen moving. Arrows were shot, oil and fire was used, but nothing happened, other then a bush catching fire, of course.
As the company moved further in, they finally meet another person that looked normal, was not translucent, and did not have a cat head’s on a human’s body.
She seemed curious about the smoke rising; the party intercepted her on the way there, and the charismatic Brandr tried his charm.
“Hullo, fair lady! we are the Nice Company. Greetings, and who might you be”
Isadora, for Isadora was her name, was instantly curious of the party, greeted them warmly and a fairly long conversation followed.
According to Isadora, the trees could be either put to sleep, or would not harm a wearer of a certain ring. She did not seem to mind that the Nice Company had taken care of them..
When asked about the feast, for a feast it seems to be called, she replied that it was a creation of Ettienne’s. She was kind enough to perform some sort of spell (a complicated version of dispel magic) and our somewhat translucent friends (Xandros and Kayoshin) seem to feel just a tad more solid. It appears, they have roughly a week’s worth of time before they become permanent members of the feast.
Isadora was a mountain of information. She mentions that:
- Isabel might be able to help with the Translucency issue.
- Simeon, who can be found in the chapel should be able to help too
- Leaving Glantry was not a choice. it was intentional, and it happened as a byproduct of a disagreement between Camille and Therese.
- It appears the castle has been gone for 110 years (110 years have passed within the castle) however, only 50 years have they been gone from Glantry. Time moves in different speeds between these two words.
- It appears they cannot leave the castle, they are trapped here.
- They don’t seem to age. They don’t sleep, or seem to need sleep.
- The mist is the nothingness
- They are bored, immortality spent in one single place doing the same thing every day, seems to bore them. Isadora, for one, would be more then happy to leave this place and return to Glantry
- When told about the McGregors (sp?) forcing the magic out of this world (Brun), she believes they found some artifact that could achieve this, because this is magic beyond their abilities.
- When told about the meeting with Jean – Louis, she mentions, in relation to him leaving abruptly, that the Nice Company must have asked questions about the curse
- When pushed further on this topic, she too refuses to talk about the curse.
- She mentions Richard could tell us more about this.
- The curse is related to the disagreement between Camille and Therese.
- It is believed that Therese might be dead. She’s not popular.
- Camille, her husband Etienne and Therese seem to be the head of the family
- The head of the family seems to have disappeared
- We can find more info in the Throne Room, but it is advised that we do not go there directly. There are secrets to this place we need to enfold first, before venturing there. some horrible dead probably awaits for us there..
- The Throne Room is in the East Wing
- We should most definitely stay away from Andrew-David
- The path in front of us leads to the Chapel to the North, and to the West Wing, guess where, to the west, of course.
- There will be a fountain ahead of us, we should not drink the water. Nor should we pick the flowers. And by Jah, we should not harm the wild life.
- When asked if she would be supportive of the Nice Company, and knowing that the main goal is the return to Brun, she provides the company with a Lacquered Wood, which when broken, will notify her of our location, and she can come to us within 30 minutes.
After the long 3rd degree, I’m sure it felt like one, the split ways, Isadora going to the East Wing, and the Nice Company, west, and north towards a bridge. A river doubled under it, passing it twice. Hooves could be heard from behind, a flash and a blur, a goat-man ran by. When on the bridge, a voice asks, “Will you pay the toll bridge”.
“I will not” – the goat-man said, “However, be patient, my brothers and cousins that are much bigger and fatter than me are just behind me”. With another flash and blur, goat-man disappears.
The Nice Company sees all this, and plans ahead. “Nay” – they say when asked again about the toll, “We shan’t pay the troll, there are cousins and fatter people behind us. Be patient”
Seems, however, that the troll, because of course it is a troll, has no more patience.
“Fine Fine” – says the Nice Company – “what is this toll”
“A dwarf size or larger” – says the troll. “Well, fantastic” – replies the Nice Company, – “we have plenty of Dwarfs here in this bag.”
The troll, big and stupid, and smelly, and dumb as he was, looks into the bag, puts his arm in, but no Dwarfs does he find. Caramel, ties the bag around his arm. Verdant backstabs him. Xandros tries to dismember him on the knees. Gertie flails her mace, Brandr misses him by a mile. The troll, surprised, with his arm stuck in the bag, tries to bite Caramel but only has a taste of his armor. After a little time, there’s a troll’s body on the bridge, but no troll’s head. Xandros, for good measure, decides to decapitate and kick the head in the river.
And so, on goes the Nice Company, and all the way, thinking hard to themselves: “Does a troll a wildlife make?”
Finally, the fountain. “Do not drink the water”, Isadora said. But she said nothing about not looking into the padlocked Chest on top of the water. Between a grappling hook, the Rope of Climbing, pulling, looking for traps, and lockpicking and opening the chest, the Nice Company is richer by 2000 additional gold pieces and the proud owner of a large silver key.
By the way, of course, no chest is so easily plundered. While the Company is trying all of the above, a large, spidery, tentacle-y, sucky arm creature jumps on Caramel and bits and pierces with it’s appendages. The Nice Company makes quick work out of this one too.
Onwards they go, again thinking to themselves: “Does a spidery-sucky-leggy-creature a wildlife make?”
Double doors to the north are presented to them, inside they go. Looks like a chapel, feels like a chapel, there’s music like as if in a chapel. It must be the chapel. And maybe, Simon is here.. but so are some statues, marble, different expressions in their faces. When investigating one, it comes to life, gently touches Brandr in the face, goes back to being a statue. Brandr feels weird about it, but also seems to feel just a tad smarter.